Blog 1865 - Saumya Singh

I approached the house in my muddy uniform, not caring about the fact that I was informally dressed for the occasion. There was no doubt that Lee would be in his best uniform, showing off the fact that even though he surrendered, he was the "better man".

I stepped inside and he was there all right, dressed in his best uniform, sword and sash and everything, waiting for me to sit in the chair opposite his. I sat and acknowledged him with a nod of my head.

"Lee."

"Grant."

"So what are the terms?" Lee asked.

I quickly wrote them down on a slip of paper and handed it to him. He glanced over it, his face showing no expression to what he might actually be thinking.

"A full pardon? Rations? We get to keep our horses? Why the special treatment?" Lee asked inquisitively.

"Peace is necessary at this time, and we need to keep the Union together. It's what Lincoln would want as well," I responded. It's for the best.

He gave me a look. "Okay then," he said, and signed the paper.

We left the house after brief discussion, and the band began to play in celebration outside.

I hushed them up.

I returned home.

I drank.

~~~~~~~~

"Sir! Sir wake up! I have terrible news!"

I was shaken awake, and I immediately felt a throbbing headache.

Great.

"What is it?" I asked groggily, my eyes still half closed.

"President Lincoln has been assassinated sir!"

My eyes flew open, and my headache was gone.

I sat bolt upright in my bed. "What?!" I yelled out. "Who did this?"

"A southerner by the name of John Wilkes Booth."

"Oh no. This is bad. Really, really bad," I said more to myself than to him.

"Yes sir, I will be waiting outside..." he trailed off and walked away.

I quickly got dressed and met him outside to know more. He must have read my mind, as he started talking the moment he saw me.

"He was at a theater with his wife, watching a play, and Booth came up behind him and shot him in the back of the head. He died a while later, but he didn't have any guards around him. He told them not to come. That's strange, don't you think?"

I nodded absentmindedly. I was deep in thought about what had happened. I had known that he was hated by the southerners who seceded, but I did not know he would be assassinated...

I mulled everything over in my head; what would become of us now that Lincoln was dead, what would happen to the country and how things would turn out. I was very unsure; after his death, I realized how much I looked up to him and depended on him for what to do. Now that he was gone I had no idea what to do. He wanted peace between the North and the South much more than anyone else did, and now that he was dead, how would we achieve that peace now, especially with the state that the nation was in?

What were we going to do now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enlistment - Ulysses Grant

Blog 1861 - Saumya Singh